Friday, June 18, 2010

Final Days of Kindergarten


DD#1 has finished her first official year of school. She loved Kindergarten! I was very hesistant to put her in the all day kindergarten, but I am glad of my decision. Her preschool teacher said she would never qualify to get into the program, but a little talking to my principal and she was in. This is when bringing your kids to your school, really works out well.
She had 10 days off prior to the last week of school for Kindergarten testing. She did very well and improved in every area! She passed off everything that was required. She spent this time playing, sleeping in and going to Lisa's house. She hasn't been to Lisa's house all year and she was sure excited to go.
The last week of school was filled with very fun adventures. One that she talked and talked about was her Safari Hunt. She was equipped with a safari hat, a camera and a map. The kids went around the school and searched for all the animals that had studied throughout the year. On top of this, she had a field day, talent show, awards assembly and a trip to McDonalds for an ice cream cone. Her dad got to come to McDonalds with her. Along with the other two kids, they followed the class. She has loved Kindergarten and has often expressed that she doesn't want to move on to 1st grade.

She absolutely adored her teacher, Mrs. Lambourne. I think she said, "Goodbye Mrs Lambourne, I love you!" 100 times before I was able to check out through the office. We both loved her.
We are so proud of you sweet girl.

A few things I wanted to jot down before I forget:
She came home with a book of all her art work and handwriting assignments. She began looking through the book and asked who colored this picture? I asked why and she said, "they didn't color in the line, mom". You should have seen her face when I told her it was her work at the beginning of the year. She also talked about how "silly" her name looked at the first of the year.

There are some positives and negatives to having your children with you at your school. More postives I would say, but my children might say more negatives. Although, she was very spoiled by most of the faculty there. Here is an example of each from this year:
Positive:
DD#1 fell off her chair in school and had a really bad goose eggs on her head. I was notified immediately (I was in the faculty room for lunch) and was one of the first ones there to get to her (along with our principal). She was not herself and was acting very strange when I arrived. I immediately knew I needed to get her looked at. My coworker took my class for the last hour of school and I was able to take her to the Instacare. Everything turned out great, but I was so grateful that I was right there to help.
Negative:
I was in the work room making copies when I heard a class walk by. I turned to look and realized it was her Kindergarten class. I poked my head out to watch and saw that her class was walking away and she was standing on the wall. I didn't like what this looked like because obviously she had done something wrong in the line to warrant waiting back and standing up against the wall. I immediately walked down to her and asked what was going on. She smiled at me and said that she was asked to wait for Savannah in the bathroom. There I was frustrated that she was getting in trouble, when in fact she was the responsible one being asked to help. I am sure her teacher was worried when I walked up to her. It made me so happy to realize that she wasn't in trouble, but was being good. I have to remember that when teacher mode steps in.

No comments: