Sunday, October 11, 2009

A Real Hero!!

DD#1 went to a super hero party yesterday for a young boy in our ward. She made a cape, played games with flashlights and overall had a fantastic time at her "super hero" party. She had a lot of fun and it was a cute theme.
My cousin, Heather Christensen, became a true hero yesterday! She gave her life trying to save others, namely her students of American Fork High School.
John Miller, who leads the American Fork band and is a music teacher at the high school, said Christensen died while attempting to save students on the bus by grabbing the steering wheel after the bus driver had an apparent medical episode, causing the bus to veer off the road.
Christensen dived for the wheel and tried to steer the bus back on course, but fell out a window as the vehicle rolled, Miller said.
"She loved her students, they were her life. I know she died trying to save them," a tearful Miller said late Saturday evening.
What a tribute to a great person. Heather and I were the same age. When we were younger, we would always play together during family get togethers. But as life seems to go, we grew apart as we grew older and life got busier. I am so grateful that we got to see her this summer at a family reuntion. She paid a wonderful tribute to my Grandpa that everyone was in awe about. It probably took her a long time, but it was so worth it. I can only think that there was a sweet reunion with people that we have lost in our family.
My heart aches for her family, for the days ahead of them. They will be hard! I pray that Spirit will comfort them in this hard time of life.
I am so grateful for the knowledge of the Plan of Salvation. We will see Heather again. I am grateful to a loving Heavenly Father, that provided a way back to Him. I am grateful to our Savior, who gave his life, so that we can return to our Father in Heaven.
We will miss Heather. DD#1 drew a picture of her last night and said, "I love you Heather". She had only met her once, but expressed her love for her. She and Heather share a birthday and have that common bond with each other.
Just a few more things that wonderful people have said about her....
The Wilsons went to wait with Peterson on her bus after the accident and were there when a teacher came on board to inform students that Christensen died.
"They broke out in sobs," Ellen Wilson said. "She was dearly loved. She will be sorely missed."

"I know this is a difficult situation for my students. I will be dealing with the sadness that will be at my school. I'm saddened. We all are," said Merrill, reached at her American Fork home Saturday evening.
She said she wants to wait to speak about Christensen until after the teacher's family has had more time to process her death. She praised her for what she called her "wonderful attributes."

Dan Adams, one of a group of parents that travels with the band, said, "We've never had any accidents that I am aware of in the 25 years that I've been here. It's just a tragic, tragic thing — not only for the students but the tragic loss of a wonderful teacher."
My regret is that I didn't keep this amazing person closer to me. She was a wonderful person and she loved those around her. My prayer to each of you reading.....keep your family close. Hold them close. They could be gone in an instant.
We love you Heather and you will definitely be missed. God be with you until we meet again.

5 comments:

LaNelle said...

I was on a bus in Cedar City last night heading back from a drama competition when we got word from one of our moms about the bus crash. At the time, we knew someone had been killed, but had no clue who it was. Within 10 minutes our students started getting texts and phone calls that it was their beloved Miss C. She had taught at ALA before going to AF and many of the students on the bus with me had been in her band or wintergaurd. They sobbed and as the details of the crash and her efforts to save her students came out, my students kept saying "that sounds like her, she WOULD have done that!" I had met and worked with her briefly on the play Aladdin at ALA in 2007 while I was still in college. I didn't know her well, but I knew that her students loved her and still talk about how much they miss her as their teacher. She obviously made a huge impact on the students at ALA in the short amount of time she taught them! We prayed last night and continue to pray for her family.

Jensen Family said...

What a huge loss to your family and all of the students that she had contact with. Sorry to hear that it was a relative of yours. I just finished watching on the news of the vigil that AF High was giving her. What a nice tribute.

Annieofbluegables said...

I am so sorry for your loss, sweet girl and the loss of all your family.
xxoo
~a

Kris Tina said...

Oh I'm so sorry for your loss - what a true hero.

Lisa said...

I am so sorry, Krista. Truly a hero. It sounds like she was a wonderful, selfless person.