Friday, May 9, 2008

He is HERE!!

We are proud to announce the arrival of our 3rd child (1st son) DS#1. DS#1 was born on May 6th, 2008 at 8:18 AM. He came into the world screaming and fighting. He weighed in at 8 lbs. 10 ozs. and is 22 inches long. We are still trying to decide who he looks like. I think we all agree that he looks most like his older sister DD#2. DH's parents came over tonight and swear that he looks exactly like he did as a baby.
We arrived on Tuesday morning at 6 AM for the scheduled C-section. It was actually quite nice because everything was relaxed. We checked in and was put in the prep room. The nurse was very sweet. It seem to take forever to have everything set in place. The doctor came in and said "Let's have a healthy baby". The anesthiologist came in and asked if I had any questions. I told him about my experience with DD#2 and how I couldn't breathe. I told him that it took all of my power to stay calm the last time, but didn't know if I could stay that calm and might panic. He told me they would have to put me out if that was the case and he didn't want to do that. He told me not to worry and he would take care of it. My mom was there and asked the anesthesiologist if this cute grandma could come in. He hesistated, but let her come. She was so excited. So DH and my mom got in their attire and we were set. We all walked to the OR. The anesthesiologist then had me lay on my side and started with a spinal block. He told me he was going to do things a little different. He only put in less of the spinal block that he normally does and then he put in a epidural catherter in case I was able to feel anything. I thought that was pretty smart. If the spinal wasn't enough and I could feel them, he could immediately put in the epidural medicine. He then told me that I would start to feel the numbing in my legs and to let him know when I could feel my fingers tingling. I was so nervous as I felt my body numbing. All I wanted was to not have it go past my chest and make my brain think that I wasn't breathing. It did stop at my fingers. I was SO EXTREMELY RELIEVED!! I had a blessing by my DH and his father on Sunday night, for this exact reason. In the blessing, I was told that I would have no complications from the spinal. I am so grateful for the Priesthood. I know that the blessing helped tremendously.

The surgery began and I could feel pressure but not pain. My mom and DH would tell me what they were doing. I guess when they got the forceps to open up my belly, DH had to sit down. They then said, "there is his head". What a rush of emotions come over you when you know your child is here. I heard a scream and knew that he was here. There was meconium in the water, so they quickly got him out and rushed him over to the pediatricians. DH immediately went over to be with the baby, while my mom stayed with me while they stitched me up. She continued to give me a play by play of what they were doing. I heard them pounding on Nathan's back and suctioning quite a bit. DH came over and said that he is struggling some and my need to go to the Nursery to get added assistance. I was hoping he wouldn't have to. They did seem to help him and he didn't have to go. He still was grunting some, but not enough to take him away. When they were finished, they wheeled me back to recovery and then up to my room.

The whole experience was great!! The doctor did say that we could probably have one more. But that is something that we will discuss in the future.
Nathan is a great baby. He is nursing like a champ. Something my girls never did. He has had his fussy times, but seems to be doing well. We got home yesterday and had a rough day. The girls are testing the waters and mom's baby blues aren't helping with dealing with it. We will all be okay though. It is nice to have DH here today. He is being so great with everything.
We feel so blessed to have this special spirit with us fresh from Heaven. We look forward to the many days ahead with our sweet little man.


Jensen Family said...

Congratulations! He's a cutie! We are so happy for you and glad to hear that all went well. Take care and let us know if we can help out with anything.

AnnieOfBlueGables said...

Congratulations! He is darling

The Nurse said...

yay congratulations on your new arrival! it was good to see your mom and sister the other day...
it is so nice to be able to walk in and have a baby. :) i am glad your spinal went well- i was kind of feeling like i couldn't breath but at the same time i could still feel myself breathing. i can't imagine how scary that would feel! so i am glad that it went better for you this time!
enjoy your little one- we are having a good time with her- although it is quite the adjustment!

Kris Tina said...

YAY! You are so strong - I am so proud of you. What a handsome little boy - he is so lucky to have you for a mom!